Business lawsuits happen every day. What is your risk? When you want to assess the likelihood of a liability claim being filed against you, and evaluate the resources you need to have in place to protect your bottom line, a chat with an independent agent who specializes in commercial insurance is a great place to start.
Many small to midsized businesses think that only big businesses are at risk of legal action. However it is important to know that any business can be hit with a liability claim or lawsuit. Relatively minor actions, and even a moment of inattention by one of your employees on the road, can unfortunately lead to big legal action.
|Here are some examples of liability risks:
- An employee says something damaging about another person or corporate entity on a social media platform while on the job
- Advice that a staff member provides, in a consulting capacity (such as financial or tax advice) leads to a patron’s financial loss
- A business patron slips on an icy walkway or is injured falling down slippery steps
- A bartender at the local watering hole serves one too many cocktails and a customer causes a deadly accident
- A server spills hot coffee on a patron, causing a severe burn
- Use of a company’s product leads to an illness or death
- A chiropractor’s adjustment results in an injury or stroke
- An employee makes a poor decision to rush through a yellow light, causing an accident that results in severe injuries and property damage
Unfortunately, it is not possible to know in advance the extent to which your business could be held responsible for negligence, “personal injury” (libel), or damages due to an accident or other incident. To protect your company, you can get a commercial umbrella liability policy that covers the potential excess liability insurance you may need in the event that you face a large lawsuit.